Want to write or avoid writing a bad worship song? Bob Kauflin, worship leader extraordinaire has provided 10 ways to write a bad worship song. I have listed them below. Check out his website for a brief explanation on each one.
- Aim to write the next worldwide worship hit.
- Spend all your time working on the music, not the words.
- Spend all your time working on the words, not the music.
- Don’t consider the range and capabilities of the average human voice.
- Never let anyone alter the way God originally gave your song to you.
- Make sure the majority of your songs talk about what we do and feel rather than who God is and what he’s done.
- Try to use as many Scriptural phrases as you can, and don’t worry about how they fit together.
- Cover as many themes as possible.
- Use phrases and words that are included in 95% of all worship songs.
- Forget about Jesus and what he accomplished at the cross.