Jason Kovacs of Together for Adoption has a guest post on the Desiring God Blog called 10 Ways to Pastor Adoptive Parents and Those Considering Adoption. In light of the topic of adoption the Together for Adoption Conference is happening this October. Click here for more information on the general session and the breakout sessions as well as speakers and topics.
There are many ways that you can express your pastoral care for those considering adoption and those who have adopted already. As an adoptive father and former pastor, I offer a few thoughts on how to help adoption become a biblically based, heart-led, missional movement in your church and not merely another program on your church’s list.
Below are the 10. Read the whole post to see him elaborate on each.
1. Develop your own heart for the fatherless.
2. Do a biblical study on God’s perspective on orphans.
3. Educate yourself on basic facts about adoption and orphan care.
4. Ask questions.
5. Remind them that they desire a good and God-magnifying thing.
6. Keep on encouraging them.
7. Provide financial counsel and help.
8. Cry with them and celebrate with them.
9. Celebrate adoptions publicly in services.
10. Don’t feel like you have to have all the answers.